Monday, May 10, 2010

DIY Antique Jars

MONDAY:  Yeah!  A Creation!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE blue antique jars.  
They sell for $10 - $20 a jar!
I knew that if I bought just one jar I wouldn't be able to stop - so I never bought one.
Now I can have a dozen for pennies!
Shhh - don't tell anyone.


I gathered up chipped jars that could no longer be used for canning.
Any jar will do.


I mixed mod podge with 2 drops of blue neon food coloring.






I got this awesome idea from Gingerbread Snowflakes.
Thank you!


I sprayed some lids gray and rubbed a Ralph Lauren glaze on it.






Makes my heart go pitter patter!


You can't even tell that they are painted.


I saw Domestically Speaking make mason jar candle holders here and had to give it a try.


The possibilities are endless.
I am off to find more jars!



 Click 'Home' and take a peek at my other creations.

Linking up to:
Anything Related Tuesday @ All Things Related
Motivate me Monday @ Keeping it Simple - Crafts Keep Me Sane
Show and Tell @ BCD

18 comments:

  1. Oh my heck...I am SO going to try this! I have a huge cupboard full of these babies. Thanks for sharing! SO FUN!

    Jennie @ Cinnaberry Suite

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOODNESS!!! What a SUPER great idea! Now you have my wheels turning!!! Thanks for joining us for Anything Related!
    ~Bridgette

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a brilliant idea and I'm gonna try it!! :)
    {Rebekah}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute love that idea I have one that my dad gave me and now I can make a set!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my goodness, this is a great idea.... i love it... now i'm going to make mine today... thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! Love it! What did you use for the handle? I suppose any wire would do.. but I am just curious what you used. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! Love it so much I did it! ROFL! I did like the SAME thing and am posting my pics tomorrow! It is hilarious! I guess great minds think alike huh! I mixed like 9 drops of blue with 1 drop of yellow to color mine. Yours look great! Love the idea of painting the lids!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shannon -
    I used black wire from Home Depot. The wire is used to tie around rebar poles for fencing or what not. It is strong - but I like it black and durable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love you! Thank you for sharing this idea, I've wanted blue ones so bad, but not willing to pay the $ for them! THANKS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love mason jars...I just did a post about them http://keepcalmanddecorate.blogspot.com/2010/05/mason-jars-not-just-for-canning.html. This is a great project. I am definitely going to try this one out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so fun! What a great idea to use food coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are just too smart for words. Love this!! Thanks for sharing. Coloring Modge Podge opens up a whole new world of crafting. lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in love! I love these easy replacements for expensive things!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi again, I love your idea so much I'm linking my post to it today! http://apartmenthomesteader.blogspot.com/2010/05/fridays-favorite-things-big-ideas-for.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a great idea! turned out veryyyy cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh WOW! I have a whole collection of jars I've saved. I just like the shapes but they were waiting for a great idea. Now I have it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love, love, love this- how GENIUS! I was just getting sad looking at ebay and etsy at the expense of these. Plus I might try to make a green one to match my kitchen and make a pendant light. THANKS!!!

    Katie @ www.cayenne-paper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your kind words.