Sunday, February 07, 2010

DIY Apothecary Jars


I have seen many DIY hurricane candle holders floating around several creative sites - I even made some. Then I went to Roberts and Hobby Lobby and saw that Apothecary jars are the 'in' thing and I fell in love. I love glass and I fancy apothecary jars. They hold their own nostalgic flavor, which calls for me. I priced them and decided to try my hand at making my own for pennies.




I went to the local thrift store and found all these for $6 - yahoo! I played with different jar lids to find the right one for that tall middle vase. I found the right size lid (the middle front) and asked the lady at the thrift store if I could buy the lid without buying the matching jar it came with - she said yes. 
Oh, thank you.




I used Gorilla epoxy glue to glue the stands to the jars.
They look so classy.











There you have it - a set of three apothecary jars for pennies and some glue.




Click 'Home' to take a peek at my other creations.

I am linking up to....

Make Your Monday at Twice Remembered

23 comments:

  1. how ingenious! Saved a bunch of money that's for sure!

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT JOB!!!! I LOVE them!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I just recently purchased my first apothecary jars from a Target online clearance sale and have had so much fum using them to decorate. I love the different heights you get with your and plan on trying it to grow my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I've seen something similar done to make cake stands all over the web, but not apothecary jars! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yolanda, I just love this! I will be looking for these items and making my own! I featured you on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I would never guess that you pieced those together on your own. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You really lucked out with that assortment of jars. I love the variety. I agree with Olivia above, you would never know those were glued together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love them! I will be checking your new blog for inspiration! And I may have to get me some glass jars-soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these! Great idea!

    Bon @ Drab to Fab
    feel free to check us out too!
    gorgfabgoodies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. These aretoo cute! Now you need to make some cake plates and teacake stands. Check out mine at my blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are really cute. Such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job!

    Love putting anything on a pedestal.
    Always makes it look more elegant.

    blessings

    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  13. Genius! Those would look perfect in my bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow they came out super nice! I was skeptical when I read the title, but I was pleasantly surprised to see how lovely they turned out.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look great!! I've been wanting to do this but my Goodwill is SO expensive! They would charge $3-8 for one of those jars or the individual candle holders.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great project...lovely jars! Just found your blog...come say hi.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute! Just found your blog! Love it!:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can I ask where you got the glass stands? I would imagine they are glass candle holders, but I'm not sure where you got them?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jessica-
    The glass stands are candle holders I found at the thrift store. I have seen similar ones at the dollar store as well. The smaller jar is attached to a glass cup.
    Hope that helps.

    Yolanda

    ReplyDelete
  20. Does the gorilla epoxy dry clear?
    I looked at the back of the package at Menards and it says it dries light tan???

    ReplyDelete
  21. It does dry a light tan, however, it is hardly noticeable. You may want to test it on an empty condiment glass bottle to see it. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I seriously wonder why I NEVER find amazing finds like this at the thrift store. Your apothacary jars look fabulous (especially with candy in them.) I would love something like that for my home!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am heading out to the thrift store instantly!! I bought one of these lovely jars for a girlfriend for her birthday. Of course I spend about $40, which I would NEVER spend on myself.....so this is WONDERFUL!!! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for your kind words.